Sunday, January 08, 2006

Sleep Deprived


Friday night, I knew I had to go to bed early. I have recently been suffering from a sinus infection, which for me is more serious because sinus infections (sinusitis) can linger on for months for me if I'm not careful.

This was actually the first time I've been sick in almost three years. That is really a record. But for some reason because of really needing to go to bed, I didn't really want to. So I started watching T.V. Then I was watching The Road Warrior, Mel Gibson's first movie. It's quite an odd and primitive show, yet it takes place in the future when the very most valuable commodity is gasoline. After I finished that show, I found the last 30 minutes to Mad Max the sequel to The Road Warrior, (no I didn't find Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome after). Finally about 2:00 am I found another interesting show, Cold Mountain.


Cold Mountain is the story of to young people who fall in love with each other on the even the man has to go to battle during the civil war. Their romantic future life together gives them the determination to get through the horrible things they face with this bloody war. What makes this movie so compelling is the effect of this love for each other has on their character, as well as watching each have to grow and change to cope with this different and demonic world. The girl, raised as a southern belle, has to lay down much of her high society culture and pick the pitchfork and compassion and become a burden lifter. The boy learns that he can run from the fight but must stand and be brave. Although there was a slight liberal tilt to the movie, i.e. deserting the war is ok if you don't agree with the cause, and the real villain of the movie were the enforcers of the war deserters, it truly was uplifting and thought provoking.

For some (sick) reason, I like to watch movies that don't glorify violence. I like to picture myself in these times and think I'd have the courage to do what is right in the most evil of times.

The final, and most interesting side of the movie was when the couple had been apart for so long did meet up with each other; they did not run into each other's arms. They were both hanging on to each other with a thread of hope and both had some knitting to do to restore that love. They especially had difficulty loving after they had been through so much hate and violence.

I can see how this can happen as you may have so many lost hopes of love, and even broken dreams, your heart shuts out this love, and the walls are built.

And so it goes...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home